Sunday 3 March 2019

A mixed media feather tag

A mixed media feather tag- Rachel Gillham Art

A mixed Media feather Tag with Visible Image Stamps and a Samantha K crafts mdf feather




I've been really into creating tags recently- I was at a car boot sale a while ago, and there was someone selling off huge piles of crafty goodies, including a huge amount of the Ranger Manilla tags- suffice to say, I now have enough of them to last me a really long time! they are such a great size to work with, and I really enjoy them.

feather mixed media tag- rachel gillham art

I dug into my Samantha K pile when creating the Jillibean Mixed media star, and rediscovered the feathers I had bought at the same time- so it was only a matter of time before I dug back into the bag to work with one of them!

I gessoed the whole tag, before adding some vintagey papers in random areas, added a quick layer of gesso again,  and then I stamped feathers from the Visible Image 'angels are near' stamp set on top, in versamark ink. 
I then grabbed some stencils and white texture paste, and added that to random areas of the tag. 







once dry, I went in with distress oxides Fossilised Amber and Peacock feathers , which I blended together.
I also used a basic letter and numbers stencil borrowed off the children, which I pounced some ink through, once the oxides were dry. 

to grunge the tag up a little i added some vintage photo and rusty hinge distress ink around the edges.

for an additional layer, I sprayed dylusions ink sprays on top in Lemon Zest and Cut Grass, before adding my feather.

while waiting for the main tag to dry, i had also coated the feather in gesso, then added the same distress inks used on the background to it.

to finish the tag off, I stamped and cut out the sentiment from the stamp set (masking the words off so I could cut them out seperately) and coated them with a layer of vintage photo distress ink. 

I used gold gilding wax on various areas, and antiqued some lace also with the vintage photo ink pad- this I attatched by pulling both pieces through the hole and stapling them in place.








I hope you've enjoyed seeing the process! I really hope to be able to start videoing my makes again soon- I'm in the process of sorting out a room to use as my own work area!

I currently share a table with my husband and two children, so my own space will be a total blessing.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Most recent post

mailing stickers!

A quick, easy project, to funk up your mailers! if you've been following this blog, you will have seen me using the Chunky Monkey C...